Establishing a connection with your guides takes time, patience, and trust
With our guides we need to build up a relationship, just was we would if we met a new friend or lover, we need to learn to communicate with them, we find the best ways that we can work together. I read many books on connecting to your guides, and all seemed to make me believe things were instant, just like that you would speak to your guide like an old friend, you would hear them straight away. This left me frustrated for years, until someone explained to me that it takes time before you end up in conversations with your guides.
Guides communicate with us in many ways, many expect a guide to talk to us as we would another person, this often happens but not until the partnership is established. The reason? Well if you started hearing voices in your head, you might think you need a psychiatrist, it can be frightening. Instead they start with the more gentle way of showing you signs, symbols, and feelings.
This exercise is to start working on the connection; we will work on using symbols.
1) You need to select a symbol, something that is important to you, but isn’t something you would normally see every day. This symbol can be an animal, flower, or shape, anything really that pops into you head or has meaning to you.
2) Sit in a quiet place for a few minutes concentrating on the symbol, drawing it out on a piece of paper to cement this in your mind, alternatively find a picture of the symbol to focus on.
3) Ask your guide to show this symbol to you for the next week, as confirmation of his/her/it’s presence.
4) Everyday look at the symbol, carrying a copy round with you is a good way to keep you focused. Try and remember to keep your eye out for the symbol, you should see if every day, and sometimes multiple times.
5) Make a note in the exercise one thread daily noting when and where you saw it, note the circumstances around finding the symbol. If the symbol was in the newspaper, what was the article about? This will often give you clues about the message your guides are trying to give to you.
If you don’t see the symbol for a few days (don’t get discouraged) continue the exercise, if your starting to get frustrated then I would pick another symbol and start afresh.
Very important to understand that you might not see the symbol in the place you expect it, so if you pick an animal you often won’t see if on a pavement/road or garden, widen your expectations, it could be on a billboard or in a newspaper.
Remember that you never fail; you just might not see it. We often spend much of our time on autopilot, and this helps us to start truly seeing again.